Hi Patrick,

I don't have an answer for you.
But thought it might be worth to have a look at this:
http://www.r-bloggers.com/getting-data-from-an-image-introductory-post/

Also, there was someone who presented a really simple GUI system in
useR2010.  Where his code gave a GUI based on R base graphics, where it
added buttons above an image, and allowed to act on the buttons to induce an
action.  I wasn't able to find his talk on the website, but it exists and
might help you with some of the coding.

Lastly I would add that I would be curious to see how you would solve your
issue.  If you happen to solve it by yourself, please consider posting it
back here.

Cheers,
Tal

Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845