I'm trying to get help to print the help pages in html format to the
terminal. This is in order to be able to see the html help files remotely.

If I do
printURL = function(file) {a=readLines(url(file));cat(a,sep="\n")}
options(browser=printURL)
options(help_type="html")

then invoking help with
?print

gets stuck. I think what happens is that the web server run by R that allows
one to read help will not work as long as R is waiting for the function to
complete. Thus, if I run a second R session, and try to read the help files
that one session produces from the other, I have no problems.

I also tried
options(browser="wget -O- ")

But again, while R is waiting for the command to complete, the web server is
dead.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?