Hi R-users,

I have a function (myfun) that I want to apply to the rows of a matrix.
Basically, "myfun" takes the values from the matrix ("exp.des"), which
represent the different combinations of my experimental design, and pass
them as arguments to some other functions (fun1 and fun2). As I want to
replicate the results of fun1 and fun2 a certain number of time (e.g.
5), I have a for loop within myfun.

I would like to store the results of each iteration of fun1 and fun2 in
a separate matrix ("output") but I have some problems telling R which is
the position of "output" where to store the results. It seems that every
time "myfun" is applied to each row of "exp.des", the position restarts
from 1, without being updated (like I am trying to make it doing). Here
is an example of what I am talking about:

output <- matrix (, 15, 1)

index <- 1

myfun <- function(x)

{

  bla

  bla

  bla

  for (i in 1:Rep)

  {

    res1 <- fun1(....)

    res2 <- fun2(res1,....)

    output [index,1]<- res2$something

    index <- index+1

  }

  return(output)

}

apply(exp.des, 1, myfun)

      [,1] [,2] [,3]

 [1,]   23    5   99

 [2,]    6   45   18

 [3,]    1   65    9

 [4,]    9   10   45

 [5,]    3   30    9

 [6,]   NA   NA   NA

 [7,]   NA   NA   NA

 [8,]   NA   NA   NA

 [9,]   NA   NA   NA

[10,]   NA   NA   NA

[11,]   NA   NA   NA

[12,]   NA   NA   NA

[13,]   NA   NA   NA

[14,]   NA   NA   NA

[15,]   NA   NA   NA

I would like to have just one column with the three groups of five
values.

Many thanks

Lorenzo

Lorenzo Cattarino

PhD Candidate (Confirmed)

Landscape Ecology and Conservation Group

Centre for Spatial Environmental Research

School of Geography, Planning and Environmental Management

The University of Queensland

Brisbane, Queensland, 4072, Australia

Telephone 61-7-3365 4370, Mobile 0410884610

Email l.cattar...@uq.edu.au

Internet http://www.gpem.uq.edu.au/cser <http://www.gpem.uq.edu.au/cser>