Hi,

I have an upcoming project that will involve a large text file.  I want to

  1. read the file into R one line at a time
  2. do some string manipulations on the line
  3. write the line to another text file.

I can handle the last two parts. Scan and read.table seem to read the whole file in at once. Since this is a very large file (several hundred thousand lines), this is not practical. Hence the idea of reading one line at at time. The question is, can R read one line at a time? If so, how? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Walt

________________________

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.