I'm not sure I understand what is 3GL or 4GL, but R is on the list of
"fourth-generation
languages : Data manipulation, analysis, and reporting
languages"<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-generation_programming_language#Some_fourth-generation_languages>
on
wikipedia.

I don't know a function like that (nervertheless, I know nothing about proc
report, and I don't understand how it works). But if you don't want a
"Sweave-like" process, hwriter can automatically generate (html) reports:

# from http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~gpau/hwriter/
library(hwriter)
hwrite(iris[1:2,1:2], 'test.html', row.bgcolor='#ffdc98')
browseURL(paste("file://", getwd(), "/test.html", sep = ""))

In all case, to generate the report, you must first create the results, and
then display it into a report.

Or perhaps you're looking for something like rreport package (in
development): http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/Main/Rreport (never
tried)

david