On 09/02/2010 04:56 AM, josef.kar...@phila.gov wrote:
I have a simple barplot of 4 mean values, each mean value has an
associated 95% confidence interval drawn on the plot as an error bar.
I want to make a legend on the plot that uses the error bar symbol, and
explains "95% C.I."
How do I show the error bar symbol in the legend?  I could not find any
"pch" values that are appropriate

Hi Josef,
There is a way to do this, but it is not too easy. First, use the my.symbols function in the TeachingDemos package to define the "error bar" symbol. Then, you can draw a legend without one or more symbol elements and place your "error bar" symbol where the symbol would have been. You can see how to do this in the code of the legendg function in the plotrix package by getting the necessary coordinates from the legend function.

Jim