If I understand you correctly and each factor consists of binary data, you
may want to check out monothethic analysis, available in the package
'cluster'.

For a simple example and short description of the method to get you started,
just type in:

require(cluster)
?mona

As far as i know there's nothing strictly theoretically invalid in using
hierarchical clustering on binary data, and you may want to see how results
may differ by trying the example data (and your own data) with other
clustering methods. For example, compare:

require(cluster)
data(animals)

plot(mona(animals))
plot(agnes(animals))