From: Marc Schwartz <marc_schwa...@me.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [R] R install in Fedora
To: wesley mathew <wesleycmat...@gmail.com>
Cc: r-help@r-project.org

On Sep 15, 2010, at 5:14 AM, wesley mathew wrote:

> Dear All
>
> As you suggested I tried to install  was trying to install
> R-2.11.1-3.fc13.1686 in  Fedora-13-i386 but it also shows error.
> I wrote  yum install R-2.11.1-3fc13.i686
> Errors
> Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repond.xml) for repository: fedora.
> Please verify its path and try again.
> Could you please help me to solve this problem.
> Thanks in advance
> Kind Regards
>
> Wesley C Mathew

The command that I told you to use was:

 yum install R

to be used as "root". Note that there is nothing after the "R".

You have to have root privileges to use yum and to install the R RPMs. So
you either need to use:

 su -

then enter the root password and then use the command above, or if you have
set up "sudo", you can use:

 sudo yum install R

after which you will need to enter the root password.

If you still get the error, you have a configuration problem with your yum
repo setup, which means that you really need to be looking to the Fedora
(not R) lists for assistance, since it is not an R issue.

That being said, as I also noted, if you post to the R-SIG-Fedora list,
there are folks there who can offer Fedora specific assistance for R, as
this thread is getting to be OT for R-Help.

Marc Schwartz

--
Wesley C Mathew