See the FAQ 7.22 Why do lattice/trellis graphics not work?

The most likely reason is that you forgot to tell R to display the graph.
Lattice functions such as xyplot() create a graph object, but do not display
it (the same is true of
*ggplot2*<http://cran.r-project.org/package=ggplot2>graphics, and
Trellis graphics in
S-Plus). The print() method for the graph object produces the actual
display. When you use these functions interactively at the command line, the
result is automatically printed, but in source() or inside your own
functions you will need an explicit print() statement.