Apologies, but after a fair amount of digging, I still only have a foggy
understanding of the cause of this problem, due to my own ignorance.

I hope to use RODBC package to connect to an Access DB when running 64 bit
Win7 (R version 2.11.1, 64 bit).  I have successfully done this before on a
winXP machine.   Currently I am unable to establish a connection using
odbcConnect("") (I am able to establish a MySQL connection just fine), which
I suspect may be a result of the driver setup location varying for 64 bit
Win7 and 32 bit Win7.  That is, to create a ODBC connection when running 64
bit Win7 the default executable file appears to NOT be the correct
c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe but rather is
c:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe.  odbcConnect returns a Microsoft error of
"specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and
Application"

I am guessing wildly here, but I wonder if odbcConnect is looking in the
wrong directory for my MS Access driver, as Microsoft hasn't even managed to
make the default location one is directed to to manage ODBC connections via
the control panel to be correct?

I also suspect that if I installed a 32 bit version of R, odbcConnect might
correctly find the location of my MS Access driver.

Clearly I'm a pretty confused about this, but I hope one of you old pros on
RODBC that is knowledgeable of the peculiarities of 64 bit Win 7 can give me
some guidance.

Thanks in advance - Peter