a cleaner code would be:

sapply(2:20, function(i) c(mean=mean(x[1:i]), sd=sd(x[1:i])))

On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:16 PM, Henrique Dallazuanna wrote:

Try this:

x <- rnorm(20)

sapply(c("sd", "mean"), function(fun)lapply(lapply(lapply(2:20, seq,
from=1), function(.x)x[.x]), fun))

On 30/01/2008, cvandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a list of 20 values. The first time through a loop I want to find the mean and stnd.dev. of the first two values; the second time through the loop I want to find the mean and stnd. dev. of the first 3 values, etc. until the last time through the loop I want to find the mean and stnd. dev. of all
20 values,  so I end up with 19 means and stnd. deviations.
How would I construct such a loop?
Thanks.

Henrique Dallazuanna
Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil