Thanks.  Spencer

On 10/2/2010 10:51 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 10:38:22AM -0700, Spencer Graves wrote:
        Is there anything on CRAN that is NOT free?
Lots.

Also notice that 'free' means more than redistribution.

I assumed that CRAN had a policy of not accepting anything that could not be
freely
That's the trouble with assumptions.

distributed, but I could not find any such statement in a quick search.
The code by Uwe identified 52 packages with "file LICENCE" or "file
LICENSE", plus others with combinations of something like GPL with "file
LICENCE" or "file LICENSE".
Take

    http://debian.cran.r-project.org/banned_packages.html

as a first start. It;s out of date as cran2deb is being rebuilt but
there are all sorts of nastinesses.  Some UW packages (mclust et al)
have non-free licenses that are academic-only (and hence discriminate
on use making them non-free). KU Leuven in Belgium and CSIRO in
Australia prohibit commercial use ...  Lots of bad examples.

But given a universe of 2500+ packages, not entirely surprising that some
differ.

(The web page comingles unsuitable licenses with other reasons for not
building packages such as dependency of external libraries or BioC.)

Dirk

       Thanks,
       Spencer