On Oct 11, 2010, at 3:55 PM, casperyc wrote:

And now I just wonder why the ' bty='n' ' won't work?

Left open is the answer to the question ... "work"  ...  how?

Because dotplot is a lattice function?
   ... and bty is a base graphic parameter?

You could try to give par.settings a list that consisted of bty='n'. (Failed, and since it fails you should look at the axis parameters of the lattice.options section in the help page.)

You probably need to print out the lattice settings and then work toward reconfiguring them for you plot with trellis.par.set:

print(trellis.par.get())

This does "work" (and suggests I misread the intent of Sarkar in his help page, but it remains unclear how you _wanted_ it to "work".

dotplot(variety ~ yield | year * site, data=barley, trellis.par.set(bty='n' ) )

I did

dotplot(BATCH~RESPONSE,data=d,subset=Type=='SHORT',bty='n')

and tried other bty parameters, none is working

Casper

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT