Hi,

I was trying to solve for m such that,

choose(n-1,k-1)+choose(n-2,k-1)+...+choose(n-m+1,k-1) - ck=0

ck is calculated by the way given in the code. Now I solved for m using uniroot
but the error messages appeared.

n<-30
k=3
alpha<-0.05
nk<-choose(n,k);
ck<-(nk/2)+k*nk*qnorm(1-alpha)/(12*n)    # computation of ck.

lhs<-function(z)
{
    Smc=0;
    fnk=0
    for(y in 1:z)
    {
       fnk[y]<-choose((n-y+1),(k-1))
       Smc=Smc+fnk[y]-ck
    }
    return(Smc);
}

In order to solve the equation first I tried to find out the point near which
lhs=0 using curve function.

curve(lhs,-70,-60)

Error in xy.coords(x, y, xlabel, ylabel, log) :
  'x' and 'y' lengths differ
In addition: Warning message:
In 1:z : numerical expression has 101 elements: only the first used

 Then I computed lhs function for every z  one by one, I found that lhs changes
its sign between (-64,-63), so I used the following uniroot function.

uniroot(lhs(-64,-63))

Error in min(interval) : 'interval' is missing

Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Shant