Why don't you install the Windows binary?

install.packages("nlme")

should do the trick?

Otherwise, see "R Installation and Administration" manual fir details how to set up an environment for installing from sources under Windows.

Note that nlme is a recommended package and included in the binary distribution of R anyway.

Uwe Ligges