Hi:

A good place to start would be package vcd and its suite of demos and
vignettes, as well as the vcdExtra package, which adds a few more goodies
and a very nice introductory vignette by Michael Friendly. You can't fault
the package for a lack of documentation :)

You might also find the following link useful:  http://www.datavis.ca/R/
Scroll down to 'vcd and vcdExtra', and further down to 'tableplot', which
was recently released on CRAN.

HTH,
Dennis