Vadim Patsalo wrote:
Patrick and Bert,

Thank you both for you replies to my question. I see how my naïve expectations
fail to floating point arithmetic. However, I still believe there is an
underlying problem.

It seems to me that when asked,

c(7.7, 7.8, 7.9) %in% seq(4, 8, by=0.1)
[1]  TRUE FALSE  TRUE

R should return TRUE in all instances. %in% is testing set membership... in
that way, shouldn't it be using all.equal() (instead of the implicit '=='), as
Patrick suggests the R inferno?

Is there a convenient way to test set membership using all.equal()? In
particular, can you do it (conveniently) when the lengths of the numeric lists
are different?

This looks like a job for zapsmall; check ?zapsmall.

  -Peter Ehlers

Thanks again for your reply!
Vadim