I sent a post to find a clever way to compute a Rolling Average of columns
in a matrix  and I was given the solution below which I am very pleased
with.

RollingAverage <- function(x, RollingObs) {
 cx <- cumsum(x);
 N <- length(x);
 Temp <- (cx[RollingObs:N] - c(0, cx[1:(N-RollingObs)]))/RollingObs
 Output <- array(NA, N)
 Output[RollingObs:N] <- Temp;
 Output
 }

The only drawback is that in order to use apply to iterate over columns one
needs to write a fucntion for any RollingObs unless one is able to pass a
parameter through an apply call.

 Example:
a= array(1:100, dim = c(17,2))
RollingAverage(a[, 1], 7)        # works fine
apply(a, 2, RollingAverage)    # this doesnt work as it doesnt see
RollingObs

Is there a way to pass an additional parameter to apply?

Thanks

Paolo