To learn why sspir does not have a filter function, you need to ask the package maintainer, Claus Dethlefsen <c...@rn.dk>. My belief is that he, Soren Lundbye-Christensen and Anette Luther Christensen found other outlets for their time since they completed the package and the companion paper, "C. Dethlefsen and S. Lundbye-Christensen. Formulating state space models in r with focus on longitudinal regression models. Journal of Statistical Software, 16(1), 2006."

R works on volunteers. If you know someone willing and able to write such a function, I suggest you contact Dethlefsen to see if they are willing to put the package on R-Forge and permit others to contribute to the package. If they decline, you can create your own package, e.g., "sspirPlus", that would add the desired filter function.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer