On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Filoche wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have a quick question regarding the look of my legend in my plot. As you
can see in the next figure, I have 3 series.

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3067466/legend.png

However, I find rather difficult to differentiate the series 1 and 3
according to their line type (lty). I would like to know if it was possible to make the line type in the legend to appear more clearly. For example, to
give more horizontal space each side of the symbols "square" to have a
better idea of the line type.

The specifics will depend on what plotting function produced the graph from which you have given us a bitmap snapshot BUT NOT SHOWN US CODE OR SAMPLE DATA. In xyplot you would be working with the key/lines/size elements (after showing us which of the several legend options were specified):

?xyplot

In base graphics I do not see a "handle" on the line length but (perhaps) you could emphasize the line compenent by increasing cex which affects all components and at the same time decrease the point size. E.g.:

 legend( ..., cex=1.5, pt.cex=0.8, cex=1.5, pt.cex=0.8, ...)

As always____>

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT