Ivan and Michael,

Many thanks for the tips, those solved my queries. Still interested in how
to force custom functions to work over rows rather than columns when using
apply, but the MAT/rowSums(MAT) technique is definitely the most efficient
way to go for this application.

Cheers,
Aaron

2010/12/2 Michael Bedward <michael.bedw...@gmail.com>

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Following up on Ivan's suggestion, if you want the column order to
> mirror the row order...
>
> mo <- order(rowSums(MAT), decreasing=TRUE)
> MAT2 <- MAT[mo, mo]
>
> Also, you don't need all those extra c() calls when creating
> inputData, just the outermost one.
>
> Regarding your second question, your statements...
>
> TMAT <- apply(t(MAT), 2, function(X) X/sum(X))
> TMAT <- t(TMAT)
>
> is actually just a complicated way of doing this...
>
> TMAT <- MAT / rowSums(MAT)
>
> You can confirm that by doing it your way and then this...
>
> TMAT == MAT / rowSums(MAT)
>
> ...and you should see a matrix of TRUE values
>
> Michael
>

> On 2 December 2010 20:43, Ivan Calandra <ivan.calan...@uni-hamburg.de>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here is a not so easy way to do your first step, but it works:
> > MAT2 <- cbind(MAT, rowSums(MAT))
> > MAT[order(MAT2[,6], decreasing=TRUE),]
> >
> > For the second, I don't know!
> >
> > HTH,
> > Ivan
> >

> > Le 12/2/2010 09:46, Aaron Polhamus a écrit :
> >>
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> My goal is to create a Markov transition matrix (probability of moving
> >> from
> >> one state to another) with the 'highest traffic' portion of the matrix
> >> occupying the top-left section. Consider the following sample:
> >>
> >> inputData<- c(
> >>     c(5, 3, 1, 6, 7),
> >>     c(9, 7, 3, 10, 11),
> >>     c(1, 2, 3, 4, 5),
> >>     c(2, 4, 6, 8, 10),
> >>     c(9, 5, 2, 1, 1)
> >>     )
> >>
> >> MAT<- matrix(inputData, nrow = 5, ncol = 5, byrow = TRUE)
> >> colnames(MAT)<- c("A", "B", "C", "D", "E")
> >> rownames(MAT)<- c("A", "B", "C", "D", "E")
> >>
> >> rowSums(MAT)
> >>
> >> I wan to re-arrange the elements of this matrix such that the elements
> >> with
> >> the largest row sums are placed to the top-left, in descending order.
> Does
> >> this make sense? In this case the order I'm looking for would be B, D,
> A,
> >> E,
> >> C Any thoughts?
> >>
> >> As an aside, here is the function I've written to construct the
> transition
> >> matrix. Is there a more elegant way to do this that doesn't involve a
> >> double
> >> transpose?
> >>
> >> TMAT<- apply(t(MAT), 2, function(X) X/sum(X))
> >> TMAT<- t(TMAT)
> >>
> >> I tried the following:
> >>
> >> TMAT<- apply(MAT, 1, function(X) X/sum(X))
> >>
> >> But my the custom function is still getting applied over the columns of
> >> the
> >> array, rather than the rows. For a check try:
> >>
> >> rowSums(TMAT)
> >> colSums(TMAT)

> [...]

Aaron Polhamus <aaronpolha...@gmail.com>
Statistical consultant, Revolution Analytics
MSc Applied Statistics, The University of Oxford, 2009
838a NW 52nd St, Seattle, WA 98107
Cell: +1 (206) 380.3948