Don't have your data, but something like this is close:

# something like the following.  read into a list for easier processing
allFile <- Sys.glob("sample*.csv")
results <- lapply(allFiles, function(.file){
    # extract number from file name
    num <- as.integer(sub("^.*?([[:digit:]]+).*", "\\1", .file, perl=TRUE))
    .in <- read.table(.file, skip=5)
    .in$obs <- num
    .in
})

# combine into a single dataframe
result <- do.call(rbind, results)

# now do your processing for average
z <- split(result, result[,1])  # split by first column
do.call(rbind, lapply(z, function(.avg){
    data.frame(x=.avg[1,1], y=mean(.avg[,2]))
}))

On 2/8/08, Gator Connection <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear list:I have a folder that contains more than 50 csv files labels
> sequencially like sample01.csv to sample50.csv. for each file the first 5
> rows are descriptive of the data collected (useful but not needed in data
> merge). each file then start the data at row 6 and have 2 variables x and y.
> In order to know which file one observation is from, I'd like to have a new
> variable location, for example if the data are from file sample11.csv, then
> the location for that obs is 11.Another difficulty is there might be two
> observations actually repetitive, for example sample05.csv might contain (4,
> 10) and (4, 12). I'd like to average it into (4, 11).  Any suggestions are
> welcome.Jack
>
> Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH
+1 513 646 9390