On 2010-12-04 21:29, Andrew Collier wrote:
hi peter and david,

thanks for the excellent suggestions. here is something like what i am
finally using (those fancy fonts were really tempting, but i chose
something a little more mundane!):

library(lattice)

x<- sort(rnorm(100,50,10))
y<- sort(runif(100,0,20))
d<- expand.grid(x=x, y=y)
d$z<- x + y
plot.new()
p = levelplot(z ~ x*y, d,
                par.settings=list(
                  layout.widths=list(right.padding=4)),
                colorkey = TRUE)
print(p)

mtext("CAPTION", 4, 1)

Even if that worked (it doesn't for me), you're still mixing
base (or tradtional) graphics with lattice graphics. Not a
good idea. I would replace the plot.new call with

 trellis.device()

and then, after the levelplot, replace the mtext with
grid.text(...) as I suggested originally. You'll have
to fiddle a bit with the x location but that should
be easy to get the way you want.

One more thing, since you imply that this is for
publication, it's a good idea to create the plot close
to the size that will ultimately be printed; resizing
is always better avoided.

Peter Ehlers

your help really appreciated!

best regards,