Thank you David, for the reference to Dalgaard's paper in Rnews_2007-2.

Unfortunately I don't seem to have the mathematical-statistical
sophistication required to adapt the example in Dalgaard's paper for my
case.

I hope someone can suggest a less-mathematical direction for solution.

Thanks again,
dror