Hi:

Arggh, it's too early in my morning...apologies.

With the same adjustment to the data frame as given previously, this
'works':

xyplot(rainfall ~ Time, data = rainfall, type = 'l')

Gabor's solution is nice because it gives you more control over the date
format and the zoo plot method works directly in lattice. If you work with
date-time data regularly, it's definitely worth the effort to learn the zoo
package.

But at least you got to see another way to plot it... :-}

Dennis