Let's say your data is in a data.frame called df:
# 1. ah and ihd
df_ah_ihd <- df[df$diagnosis=="ah" | df$diagnosis=="ihd", ] ## the "|" is the boolean OR (you want one OR the other). Note the last comma

#2. ah
df_ah <- df[df$diagnosis=="ah", ]

#3. ihd
df_ihd <- df[df$diagnosis=="ihd", ]

You could do the same using subset() if you feel better with this function.

HTH,
Ivan

Le 1/20/2011 09:53, Den a écrit :
Dear R people
Could you please help.

Basically, there are two variables in my data set. Each patient ('id')
may have one or more diseases ('diagnosis'). It looks like

id      diagnosis
1       ah
2       ah
2       ihd
2       im
3       ah
3       stroke
4       ah
4       ihd
4       angina
5       ihd
Q: How to make three data sets:
        1. Patients with ah and ihd
        2. Patients with ah but no ihd
        3. Patients with  ihd but no ah?

  If you have any ideas could just guide what should I look for. Is a
subset or aggregate, or loops, or something else??? I am a bit lost. (F1
F1 F1 !!!:)
Thank you

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231