Hi:

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Greg Snow <greg.s...@imail.org> wrote:

> It is not clear what you are doing or why you are doing it.  If you tell us
> your ultimate goal we may be able to help you find a way that does not
> require all the computing that you are doing.
>
> How do you get your coefficients? Are you using lm? Have you looked at the
> resid function?

Thanks, Greg. I totally agree that a clearer explanation of the goals of
this computing problem would be (very) useful. R has a number of ways to
process subsets of data efficiently. One approach (although not unique)
would be to (a) split the data into multiple subgroups; (b) run a lm() model
in each subgroup; (c) export the model objects to a list; (d) extract the
pieces of the output you want for all models run. Several examples of how to
do this with enhanced apply-like functions in the plyr package are in the
list archives, so this can be done with a bit of thinking and an
understanding of what is wanted/needed...especially if you will need to do
multiple sets of extractions from your set of model objects.

If you find yourself doing the same thing over and over in R, you can bet
there's a much more efficient way to do the computations. An explanation of
the goals, a subset of data that illustrates the problem (preferably in
dput() form) and showing what you've tried would be useful.

Dennis