You need to make your variable into a factor and specify the order.

> mymonths <- c("December", "March")
> factor(mymonths)
[1] December March
Levels: December March
> factor(mymonths, levels=month.name)
[1] December March
12 Levels: January February March April May June July August September
October ... December
> month.name
 [1] "January"   "February"  "March"     "April"     "May"       "June"
"July"
 [8] "August"    "September" "October"   "November"  "December"
> month.abb
 [1] "Jan" "Feb" "Mar" "Apr" "May" "Jun" "Jul" "Aug" "Sep" "Oct" "Nov" "Dec"