Dear R-users,

I'm new to R, so my apologies if this question doesn't make sense.

I've tried the following model in lmer, and it works perfectly:
model<-lmer(aphids~densroot+zone+(1|zone/site), family=quasipoisson)

But if I try the exact same model with a different variable, totmas, the model
looks as follows:
model<-lmer(aphids~totmas+zone+(1|zone/site), family=quasipoisson)

Totmas is also a continuous variable just like densroot, but in this case I
receive the following message:

CHOLMOD warning: &߆e
Error in objective(.par, ...) :
  Cholmod error `matrix not positive definite' at
file:../Supernodal/t_cholmod_super_numeric.c, line 613

Moreover, if I test yet another continuous variable "vitality", to my surprise
R just crashes completely.

This is a mystery to me, especially because the variables totmas or vitality
don't give any problem when I build the exact same models in SAS with proc
glimmix...

Does someone have experience with this type of problem?

Thank you in advance,

Martijn.

--
Martijn Vandegehuchte