Dear Prof Brian Ripley and others,

After (finally) checking again, I found that ggobi doesn't work with the
newer GTK (probably needed for R 2.12.0).

Here is the results of my experimentations:

*What works:*
Installing ggobi and the GTK (version 2.12.9) provided on:
http://www.ggobi.org/downloads/
Will *work* with R 2.11.1 + rggobi (version 2.1.14)
(notice that the newest version 2.1.16, is not available for windows users.
 And the newer version 2.1.16-3 is not available on CRAN:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rggobi/index.html)

*What doesn't work:*
Trying this with R 2.12.0 with rggobi (version 2.1.16-3), will *crash* with
the error:

"the procedure entry point g_malloc_n could not be located in the
dynamic link library libglic-2.0-0.dll"

When then trying to install gtk+ from the dialog box offered, then it
downloads GTK (version 2.22.0 instead of 2.12.9) from here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-win/gtk2-runtime-2.22.0-2010-10-21-ash.exe?download
'

After doing this, ggobi (not rggobi) itself, won't run. It will crash with
the error:

"the procedure entry point g_assertion_message_error could not be located in
the
dynamic link library libglib-2.0-0.dll"

Trying then to insert the dll's from the packages Prof Brian Ripley
suggested (libxml2.dll and iconv.dll) won't fix the problem.
Also using the libglib-2.0-0.dll from the old GTK package won't help.
Also, reinstalling ggobi won't work.

Any suggestions on how to make ggobi work with the newer version of GTK ?

Thanks,
Tal

----------------Contact
Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Tal Galili <tal.gal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked it using:
>
> Sys.getenv("PATH")
>
> And the output includes the PATH to the GTK2 installation (it's the last
> item in the following list):
>
> "C:\\Windows\\system32;C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\;C:\\Program
> Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Ulead Systems\\MPEG;C:\\Program
> Files\\TortoiseGit\\bin;C:\\Program Files
> (x86)\\QuickTime\\QTSystem\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ggobi;C:\\Program
> Files (x86)\\GTK2-Runtime\\bin"
>

> What else might I try?
>

> (Thanks)
>

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Prof Brian Ripley
> <rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk>wrote:
>
>> Your GTK+ installation is not being found: check your PATH.
>>

>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Tal Galili wrote:
>>
>>  Hello Prof Brian Ripley, Yihui and Tom,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your suggestions.  It seemed to have made some differences
>>> in
>>> the error massages - but rggobi still fails to load.
>>>
>>> Steps taken:
>>> 1) I removed the old GTK (through the uninstall interface)
>>> 2) I ran  library(RGtk2) which downloaded the new GTK-runtime
>>> version 2.22.0-2010-10-21 (instead of the one I got from ggobi, which
>>> was 2.12.9-2).
>>> 3) I downloaded both
>>> ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/libxml/libxml2-2.7.7.win32.zip and