I'm having a hard time figuring out how to group results by certain factors in R. I have data with the following headings:

[1] "Time" "Plot" "LatCat" "Elevation" "ElevCat" "Aspect" "AspCat" "Slope"
[9] "SlopeCat"  "Species"   "SizeClass" "Stems"

and I'm trying to use a GLM to test differences in "Stems" for different categories/factors - most importantly, I want to group things so that I see results by "SizeClass" and then by "Species". This is pretty easy in SAS using the "Group By" command, but in R, I haven't figured it out.

I've tried using the following code:

> stems139GLM <- glm(Stems ~ Time | SizeClass | Species, family=poisson, data=stems139)

but R gives me this message:

Error in pmax(exp(eta), .Machine$double.eps) :
  cannot mix 0-length vectors with others
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In Ops.factor(Time, SizeClass) : | not meaningful for factors
2: In Ops.factor(Time | SizeClass, Species) : | not meaningful for factors

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

--
Christopher R. Dolanc