is.na function does'nt seem to work, but maybe I'm just dealing with it in a wrong way.

here's an example

> m <- c(2, 3, 5, 6, 3, 7, -99, -99, 6)
> n <- c(1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2)

so my matrix contains certain missing values

> m[m==-99] <- NA
> o <- data.frame(m, n)
   m n
1  2 1
2  3 1
3  5 1
4  6 1
5  3 1
6  7 2
7 NA 2
8 NA 2
9  6 2

"2" stands for february

> february <- which(o[,2]==2, arr.ind = TRUE)
> prec_feb <- sum(o[february,1], na.rm = TRUE)
> prec_feb
[1] 13

And now I need to know the exact number of rows, where "m" contains a value. to know how many days a month give any information. (to create monthly means and stuff)

hope this explains, what I need to know.

Thanks,
S.