Hi,

I wanted to check the difference in results (using lme4) , if I treated a
particular variable (beadchip) as a random effect vs if I treated it as a
fixed effect.

For the first case, my formula is:

lmer.result <- lmer(expression ~ cancerClass + (1|beadchip))

For the second case, I want to do:

lmer.result2 <- lmer(expression ~ cancerClass + beadchip)

However, I get an error in the second case:

> Error in lmerFactorList(formula, fr, 0L, 0L):

  No random effects terms specified in formula

Is there any way that I can get lmer() to accept a formula without a random
effect?

many thanks