Hi Grant,
I don't have a solution, but just to be clearer on your situation:

One row from sheet 2 looks like this:
BC1 BC2  1 01/02/87 33 3  1 03/03/87 44 3
?

Are you using only the first 6 columns for the data to be replicated, and
using the other columns as some sort of indicators on when a sequence ends?
If so, I would suggest asking the group how you might be able to turn sheet
2 so that it will have as many rows as you needs (which you will then merge
with sheet 1).

And for clarity sake, consider using ?dput for your objects.
Looking at data the way you pasted them (also, without column names) is not
very easy for the reader (which might reduce your chances of getting help).

Cheers,
Tal

Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)