Hi:

To get the samples, here's one approach:

df <- data.frame(gender = rep(c('F', 'M'), c(165, 42)), y = rpois(207, 20))
# Sampling function to take 20 F and 20 M with replacement
# The sample function operates on the rows of df to get idx and then takes
# the y's corresponding to those rows
sfun <- function(x) {
    idx <- c(sample(1:165, 20, replace = TRUE), sample(166:207, 20, replace
= TRUE))
    x[idx]
   }

# Replicate the process 1000 times
u <- t(replicate(1000, sfun(df$y)))
> dim(u)
[1] 1000   40

The first 20 rows are F, the second 20 M.

HTH,
Dennis