On 2011-03-11 11:31, David Winsemius wrote:
On Mar 11, 2011, at 2:06 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

>  I am encountering an error with plot.lm:
>
>>  tstdf<- data.frame( y=c(1.01,1.98,3.02,3.99),x=c(1,2,3,4))
>>  plot(lm(I(y) ~ x, data=tstdf))
>  Hit<Return>  to see next plot:
>  Hit<Return>  to see next plot:
>  Error in object$coefficients : $ operator is invalid for atomic
>  vectors
>
>  Obviously I don't need the I() in this example, but I have been
>  working
>  with regressions that involve an expression on the left side of the
>  formula, for which I do need the I().
Are you sure you need I() on the LHS? The I function is designed to
avoid the confusion related to the  dual use of the arithmetic
operator symbols affecting the construction of the model matrix, but I
don't think that applies to the LHS of the formula.

(See Dalgaard's
commentshttp://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp10/2009-March/192018.html
   if desiring higher authority.)

Agreed that I() is not needed.
For anyone interested in why the (non)problem arises:
the residuals component of the model will have a class
attribute ("AsIs") which causes abline() (called by
qqline()) to choke.

Peter Ehlers

-- David.

David Winsemius, MD