Actually, you can do this using locked bindings.  Look at ?lockBinding

Locked bindings are how namespaces get const function definitions, and
active bindings (on the same help page) are how R CMD check notices
that you are using T and F when you mean TRUE and FALSE.

   -thomas

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM,  <rex.dw...@syngenta.com> wrote:
> Cheer up! R is a step closer to that concept than the old FORTRAN compilers
> that couldn't even guarantee that 37 was a constant if used repeatedly in a
> subroutine call.

Thomas Lumley
Professor of Biostatistics
University of Auckland