On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:40 PM, Sebastián Daza wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is there any command to identify the pattern of responses of a database with this format:

year  id
2008    1
2009    1
2008    2
2009    2
2008    3
2009    3
2008    4
2009    4
2010    4

Two methods assuming this is in a a data.frmae named `dat` and you want cross-tabulation:

tapply(dat$year, dat$id, length)

`xtabs` offers a more flexible method

xtabs(year ~ id, data=dat)

--
David.

I just need the frequency of the patterns grouped by id:

2008 2009 2010 = 80

I don't understand what format this might be specifying. If you offer an example you should also specify the correct output from that example rather than the output from a larger example whose content you make the reader guess at. I cannot see any connection between the numbers 80, 30, and 10 with the example above, nor cann is see a connection with the set 2008, 2009, and 2010 with anything other than the set of objects associated with id==4. So its possible that the first step in your desired process might be the split function.

> split(dat, dat$id)
$`1`
  year id
1 2008  1