I've read the help and the archives on tryCatch but I'm still stuggling
trying to understand how it
works exactly and how I can use it to get the result I need.

I have a data.frame of urls which point to 11 .zip files. Basically I use
RCurl to get the list of
files from a ftp and then reduce that directory dump to the 11 zip files I
want to download.

Its easy enough to do that in a loop over the elements in data.frame.

The problem is that the site is very inconsistent. All 11 files will
download, but I will get random
warnings that the size of some of the files does not match what was
downloaded.
So at the end of the loop I may get 5 warnings about the file size not
matching.
These files, when tried a second or third time, will eventually download
properly.

What I want to do is record which files had this download warning.