To try to answer the actual question ....

I run x86_64 Linux and both 32-bit Windows XP and x64 Windows 7 on my home desktop. So from years of experience of using the same hardware on those OSes:

1) Generally Linux will be a bit faster, mainly because I do not hobble it with --enable-R-shlib (the only way R can be built on Windows). But the difference is small (5-20%).

2) Linux handles large amounts of memory (and especially swapping) better, so the differences will be more if what you do is using nearly all the address space or physical RAM of your computer.

3) Linux's process launch and disc access is many times faster, which makes a big difference to R development work.

From your described usage I would expect you to see a worthwhile
performance gain -- it does matter what you are doing with R. It also matters which database system.