Wonderful! Thanks.  I think I've got it.

You can even put

   this <- environment() at the top

as long as

   this

is returned at the end.

I gather that the environment keeps accumulating elements even though it is
assigned to 'this' at the beginning.

I had thought that $ worked only on lists, but I guess it works on
environment objects also.

> typeof(x)
[1] "environment"
> is.list(x)
[1] FALSE

*-- Russ *
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
*  blog: *http://russabbott.blogspot.com/
  vita:  http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/