On Mar 22, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Rachel Chu wrote:

Hi there,

I am currently working on a R programming project and got stuck.
I am supposed to generate a set of possibilities of 1296 different
combinations of 4 numbers, ie. 1111, 1234, 2361, (only contain 1 to 6) in a
matrix form
here is what I got which has not been working as it keeps coming out with
the same number on the row..

The code:
gl1<- gl(1296,1,length=1296, labels=1:1296, ordered=true)
s<-matrix(gl1, nrow=1296,ncol=4)

and i want to get a result which will provide me 1296 outcomes of DIFFERENT
COMBINATIONS of numbers (from 1 to 6)
e.g.
[1] 1111
[1295] 6665
[1296] 6666

if anyone could email me back with what I am doing wrong and what I should
actually do i would be extremely thankful!
(I am doing my project and am so stressed because of getting stuck on the
supposedly easier problem..)

You could try (after fixing the incorrect parameter to ordered) :

as.numeric( apply(s, 1, paste, collapse="") )

If you want to force that vector back to a matrix you could use dim()

> s2 <- as.numeric( apply(s, 1, paste, collapse="") )
> dim(s2) <-  c(1296,1)
> head(s2)
     [,1]
[1,] 1111