The ampersand is a good idea, but nohup is best avoided in scripts. Rather the
server itself should handle the transition to daemon status to avoid ending up
with many duplicate server processes running.
DCN:<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Mike Marchywka <marchy...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:37:12 +0530 > From: nandan.a...@gmail.com > To:
> rasanpreet.k...@gmail.com > CC: r-help@r-project.org > Subject: Re: [R]
> start that from > > within my R function. > > > > here is how I start it: > >
> > > cmd<-"sh start-server.sh" > > > > system(cmd, wait=FALSE) > > > > My
> function has to start the server and proceed with further steps. The > >
> server starts but the further steps of the program are not executed.The > >
> cursor keeps waiting after the server is started. > > > > How r u executing
> further steps after starting server, meant for server > from R ?? > > > i
> tried removing the wait=FALSE, but it still keeps waiting. > > > > I also
> tried putting the start-server in a separate function and my further > >
> script in a separate function and then run them together, but it still > >
> waits. The transitio
 n from
the start of server to next step is not > > happening. > > > > Please help. I
have been stuck on this for quite some time now. > > > > -- I hadn't done this
in R but expect to do so soon. I just got done with some java code to do
something similar and you can expect in any implementation these things will be
system dependent. It often helps to have simple test cases to isolate the
problem. Here I made a tst script called "foo" that takes a minute or so to
exevute and generates some output. If I type system("./foo",wait=F) the prompt
comes back right away but stdout seems to still go to my console and maybe
stdin is not redicrected either and it could eat your input ( no idea, but this
is probably not what you want). I did try this that could fix your problem, on
debian anyway it seems to work, system("nohup ./foo &") you can "man nohup" for
details. > > Rasanpreet Kaur > > > > [[alternative HTML version deleted]] > > >