Greetings,

Say I have defined

 mp <- function(a) function(x) x^a

 f2 <- mp(2)

and I would like to retrieve the "a" which is local to f2. Two options come to mind;

 get("a", envir=environment(f2))
 eval(substitute(a), environment(f2))

I'm curious if one of these is preferred over the other in terms of efficiency, robustness, aesthetics, etc. Or perhaps someone can share another way to skin this cat, besides wrappers around eval() like

 evalq(a, environment(f2))
 with(environment(f2), a)

Also, I'd like to confirm that I have used the correct terminology in the subject line, that "a" is a local variable with respect to f2, which is a closure?

Thanks,
Ben