The following doesn't rely on lazy evaluation, but it accomplishes something
similar by taking advantage of R's closure capability.

>fibs = function() {
  fibNumbers = 0:1
  fib = function(n) {
    if (n <= length(fibNumbers)) return(fibNumbers[n])
    fibNumbers[n] <- fib(n-1) + fib(n-2)
    return(fibNumbers[n])
  }
}
>x = fibs()
>x(1)
[1] 0
>x(2)
[1] 1
>x(7)
[1] 8

The recursive calls to fib(n-1) and fib(n-2) are not inefficient since most
of the results will be returned via lookup in fibNumbers. This also works.

>sapply(1:12, x) [1]  0  1  1  2  3  5  8 13 21 34 55 89

*-- Russ *