Following an example on p 111 in 'Nonlinear Regression with R' by Ritz & Streibig, I have been fitting nls models using square brackets with the grouping variable inside. In their book is this example, in which 'state' is a factor indicating whether a treatment has been used or not:

> Puromycin.m1 <- nls(rate ~ Vm[state] *
+ conc/(K[state] + conc), data = Puromycin,
+ start = list(K = c(0.1, 0.1),
+ Vm = c(200, 200)))

What I cannot figure out is how to specify the value of the grouping variable in a 'predict' statement. In my own example, I can only seem to get the predictions for the 1st specified level of the grouping variable. I promise that I have read the documentation, and have tried a number of things, but cannot get the correct predictions.

Thank you for any help.

Yours - Stuart

--
Stuart Rosen, PhD