The R "cut" command is entirely different from the UNIX "cut" command. The latter retains selected fields in a line of text. I can do that kind of manipulation using sub() or gsub(), but it is tedious. I assume there is an R function that will do this, but I don't know its name. Can you tell me?

I'm also guessing that there is a web page somewhere that will tell me how to do a lot of common GNU/UNIX/Linux "text util" commmand-line kinds of things in R. By that I mean by using R functions, not by making system calls. Does anyone know of such a web page?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Minnesota Center for Twin and Family Research