Friends

I am trying to format a number to a string so 2189.745 goes to "2,189.35"
and 309283.929 goes to "309,283.93"

I have tried to use formatC(X, big.mark=",",drop0trailing=FALSE, format="f")
but it does not get the number of decimals correct.  Specifying digits does
not work as that is significant digits.  I could use a switch statement
switching on the size of the number to be formated to set the digits
parameter but that is complex and leaves me insecure that thre may be other
problems I have not uncovered.

Is there a simple way of using library functions to insert big.marks and get
the number of trailing digits correct?  Perhaps some way of using sprintf?

cheers
Worik