I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a way to take what is visible in the
R graphics window, pixelate it, and express that pixellation in a
numeric matrix. For example, I am using the following command to create
a  black (present) and white (absent) spatial simulation of grass
tussock distribution.

symbols(x=runif(100,-.5,1.5),y=runif(100,-.5,1.5),circles=runif(100)/30,
inches=F,bg=1,xlim=c(0,1),ylim=c(0,1))

What I would like to end up with is a 2 dimensional matrix that
indicates presence/absence of grass in any given pixel as per the image
generated from the above graphics plot.

Thanks

Terry Beutel