Thanks Bery and Richard.

So how would you suggest to create a histogram function with an added
density plot on top of it?

Here is what I've came up so far (ANY suggestion for improvement will be
welcomed!):

#-------------------------------------------------------------
# function
hist.plus.density <- function(X,..., density_col = "blue", density_lwd = 5,
main)
{
if(missing(main))
{
 xname <- paste(deparse(substitute(X), 500), collapse = "\n")
main <- paste("Histogram of", xname)
 }

a <- hist(X, main  = main , ...)
y <- density(X)$y  * max(a$counts / a$density, na.rm = T)
 x <- density(X)$x
lines(x = x, y = y, col = density_col, lwd = density_lwd)
 return(invisible(a))
}

# example of use:
 set.seed(242)